November is National Running Safety Month
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 70% of pedestrian deaths occur between the hours of 6 p.m. and 6 a.m. Because of this, if you are running at night it is important to wear, bright. reflective gear to increase your visibility to drivers. Dress to be seen!
Wearing reflective gear such as running pants, jackets, sashes or headbands increases the distance in which drivers can see you from 180 feet (if wearing neon or white) to 500 feet.
*If a car is moving at 40 miles per hour, it will take more than 180 feet to come to a complete stop.
Since most headlights angle down, lighting the lower leg is important. Most running shoes have reflective materials built in them but adding reflective tape can be an added safety benefit. This reflective tape can also be placed on feet, ankles and wrists to accentuate moving parts.
The time change in fall means shorter days and less daylight. In addition to your busy jam-packed schedule, this can make running in daylight hours nearly impossible. Those after-work, stress relieving runs by sunset are now in the dark and that black hoodie just isn’t going to cut it.
The simplicity of running is what makes it appealing but staying safe is what makes it possible for you to run another day.
Helpful Reflective Gear for Runners and Other Athletes:
- A heavy-duty reflective belt is a more durable version of a standard vinyl reflective belt. It can feature black poly-web backing and a sturdy buckle closure, which will make it ideal for everyday use. A type of vinyl material used may be 3M Scotchlite reflective material and the adjustable strap can be manufactured to fit up to a 48″ waist. The best ones on the market today are available in multiple color options.
- A reflective hat has reflective taping in the sandwich, top of bill, back crown and closure. It can be made of 100% fluorescent polyester with six panels and a hook and loop closure. Most are manufactured with several color options.
- Be safe and be seen while running with a reflective headband. Made of a cotton terry cloth elastic, a headband will absorb sweat and stretch for comfort. The hook and loop closure on most headbands on the market today provides quick and easy adjustment.
- A reflective sticker set is great for just about any use. They can be used on in-line skates, backpacks, lunch boxes, totes, shoes, bikes or skateboards. Most are available in green or orange.
- Peel and stick reflective tape strips anywhere you need increased visibility. There is one 1″ x 10″ strip of reflective tape in a package and can be made using a military grade or commercial grade reflective material.