There are a number of bikes that are available in the market from mountain bikes, traditional folding bicycles to road bikes. Each type of bike is designed to apprehend and serves different interests to travelers. Every year, many people plan a cycling vacation to some of the most beautiful places of the world. If you’re planning a cycling vacation, it’s likely you will be needing a strong and sturdy bike. Your bike should be capable enough to carry heavy objects so that you can bring essential supplies along with yourself.
Before you start your cycling expedition to Europe or anywhere around the world, make sure you have the proper bike and touring equipment. A touring bike is necessary to ensure that your riding experience is favorable. Below is the general list of the main attributes to select a touring bike:
1. Strong and Sturdy Frame: The frame along with the fork is the most important part of the bike. You must select a touring bike that has a strong and stiff Frame and body. Strong frame helps to stand up the tortional stress in curvy paths, while weaker frame starts to bend and flex. It is the heart of your bicycle. So, buying a bike with a rigid and tuff frame is very essential.
2. Long chain stays: This is the most desirable feature in your touring bike. A long chain stays makes your wheel base longer and much more stable. It also solves the problem of heel strike on your rear pannier as it provides better stability to your feet. It also provides your frame more clearance, by allowing more space between the wheel and the seat tube.
3. Uncut steerer tube: This is another desirable feature while selecting a touring bike. An uncut steerer tube provides more flexibility to your handlebars to move up and down. Most people like the handlebars in level with the saddle, and a cut steerer tube makes it difficult to achieve. If your steerer tube is cut already, then this will restrict your bike moves.
4. Relaxed geometry: Your bike’s geometry mainly depends upon the bike frames, as keeping frame angles more relaxed. A relaxed geometry promotes a more comfortable, relaxed style of riding. It means keeping your angles within your frame tube. Therefore, select a bike to be ridden in a straight line.
5. Large tires: Tire size is another significant feature while selecting a touring bike. If you are touring on rougher roads or tracks, bigger tires can grant you better protection. Bigger tire provides more air and ultimately better suspension.
6. Water bottle cages: A good touring bikes have at least three bottle cages, on the top of the downtube, front of the seat tube and the underside of the downtube. This can be very useful for carrying extra water on long tours. You can even get your bike custom made for carrying some extra loads of water and fuel for cooking.
7. Good load Handling: Your bike should be capable of carrying enough load while travelling. Do not buy a touring bike without trying it out in fully loaded form. Take a little ride around the bike shop’s parking lot. This will give you an idea, that weather your bike have the capability to handle the load on tour.
Some destinations have easy terrain while others may have high jagged peaks. You must select a touring bike on the basis of destination you are going to visit.
Spend time researching different bike types, accessorizes and feature required in your bicycle. If you are not clear which bike will suit your requirements, then you can ask your tour operators to provide you a bike as per your needs and requirement.